waterfire returns to providence
beauty, artistic performances and culinary treats
Fire meets water and summer nights in Providence turn magical with the return of WaterFire, the city’s award-winning multi-sensory experience. Recently listed as one of world’s top nighttime activities by SmarterTravel.com, WaterFire is the brainchild of Brown University graduate Barnaby Evans. Designed to engage and intrigue visitors, this distinctive art installation is comprised of more than 100 bonfires that wind through the downtown’s three rivers. Lightings occur throughout the summer and have been scheduled for the following dates thus far:
- · Saturday, June 23
- · Saturday, July 21
- · Saturday, August 18
- · Saturday, September 15
- · Saturday, September 29
“Providence is a unique place with a passion for being different and full of energy,” says Evans. “WaterFire is designed to be a reminder of these characteristics so ingrained in the people and history of this city.”
Soundtracks from around the world and the percussion of the crackling fires add a rich accompaniment to the sounds and sights of downtown Providence. Costumed performers will also be present throughout the festival, dancing to the music and helping add to WaterFire’s enchantment.
For guests who’d like to observe the flames up close, gondola rides will be available for $79 for two people. Providence-based company La Gondola will be issuing tours every day from April 28 through September 15, 2012. Tours are available from 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. and also during the day from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Additionally, La Gondola will be partnering with Federal Hill’s Andino’s for a special package that includes a free appetizer at the Italian restaurant and keepsake glasses from La Gondola for two people. Families taking advantage of this deal can also receive free desserts for children and a complimentary gondola ride for kids under 12. For more information, visit www.gondolari.com.
In addition to being mesmerized by Providence’s beautiful bonfires, guests can also enjoy some of the acclaimed restaurants and destination-wide events happening both before and after lightings. Whether it’s a special performance, active pursuit or diverse dining, Providence can help to add some fuel (and food) to the fire.
- · Jacky’s Waterplace and Sushi Bar – East meets West at this new Asian restaurant located on Providence’s waterfront. Jacky’s has a large sushi bar, outdoor balcony dining and an extensive wine list and sake menu. The new restaurant provides an elegant atmosphere for a night out with friends. For more information, visit www.jackyswaterplace.com.
- · Hemenway’s Seafood Grill and Oyster Bar – Visitors can dine at Hemenway’s Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar to experience a Providence classic that boasts time-honored recipes for ocean-fresh seafood. Ingredients are flown in from around the world on a daily basis. Located right near Memorial Park with prime viewing for WaterFire, Hemenway’s is a superb locale any night of the week. For more information, visit www.hemenwaysrestaurant.com.
- · Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon – Guests can relax by WaterFire on the night of Saturday, August 18 and then join thousands of runners, walkers and participants on Sunday, August 19 during Providence’s second annual Rock’n Roll Half-Marathon. Likened to more of a block party than a strictly-athletic event, the course takes contestants through some of the city’s most beautiful sections and features live music at every mile. For more information, visit www.runrocknroll.competitor.com/providence.
- · Trinity Rep Presents: Motherhood The Musical – Guests can catch a great show at the award-winning Trinity Repertory before heading over for a late-night lighting. Motherhood the Musical is a four-woman show created by author and songwriter Sue Fabisch, a mother who understands that sometimes the best way to cope with the joys and trials of motherhood is to share the experience with other moms. The show runs from May 25 through July 1. Tickets start at $44 per person. For more information, visit www.trinityrep.com/box_office/current_season/motherhood_the_musical.php.
- · Painting Air: Spencer Finch – Internationally acclaimed artist Spencer Finch combines science with poetic observation at this new RISD Museum of Art exhibit. 100 panels of suspended glass become a lens to view a color-filled, 150-linear-foot mural in Finch’s Monet inspired display. Viewer perspectives will change drastically from one moment to the next. “Painting Air” runs through July 29, 2012. For more information, visit www.risdmuseum.org.
~ The Creative Capital ~
Providence is a vibrant and energetic destination boasting some of the country’s finest educational institutions paired with a pulsating artistic landscape. The city’s history of innovation, dating back to its founding father Roger Williams, drives a strong sense of place and encourages residents and visitors alike to view Providence as a leading arts and cultural destination. Providence seamlessly blends the urban sophistication of a big city with the graceful charm of a small town replete with internationally-acclaimed restaurants and a thriving arts scene. Media can also visit http://www.facebook.com/louhammondpr or follow on Twitter @LouHammondPR for the latest client news.